Table of Contents
Collecting Personal Information
GM Financial may collect, store and use the following kinds of personal information:
- Information you provide to us when you register on GM Financial, including your email address and password, and information you provide to us when you register on MyAccount, including your first and last names, GM Financial account number, Social Security number, email address, and vehicle information such as make, model, and vehicle identification number ("VIN");
- Information you provide when completing an online GM Financial credit application or Mode credit application, including your first and last names, physical address, residence type, length of time at current address, monthly rent or mortgage amount, home and business telephone numbers, email address, date of birth, Social Security number, employment status, job title, employer name, employer phone number, length of time at place of employment, and income information;
- Information from commercially available third-party sources, such as consumer reporting agencies and identity verification services, which may be combined with the information you provide when completing an online GM Financial credit application or Mode credit application;
- Information about the device or computer you use to access the Site, including device ID, device and platform type, operating system, IP address, browser type and version, domain name, and referring website/service/application; and
- Information that you send directly to GM Financial or post to any of GM Financial’s social media websites for publication on the internet, such as your first and last names, user name, profile picture, user preferences such as “Like” button clicks, and the content of your posts.
Using Personal Information
We may use personal information that we collect in the following ways:
- To provide you with Services and to fulfill our contractual obligations to you;
- To process your GM Financial online credit application or Mode credit application;
- To communicate with you about the Site or Services, such as to send you account updates or other communications regarding your account or to inform you of any changes to the Site or Services;
- To send you information about promotions or other marketing material;
- For specific purposes for which you provide consent;
- To provide you support or other services you request, for example technical support or to answer questions about the Site;
- To maintain and improve the Site and Services and improve user experience; and
- For any other legitimate business purpose.
Third-Party Collection of Personal Information
GM Financial may allow third-party service providers to place persistent identifiers such as cookies, pixel tags, and web beacons on the Site.
Cookies, pixel tags, and web beacons are used for the following purposes:
Disclosing Personal Information to Third-Parties
We may disclose personal information we collect from you to the following third parties, for the purposes specified:
- Service Providers. We may use third parties to provide you with products and services you request. If you are a customer, we may disclose the information we collect about you as described herein and in accordance with GM Financial customer privacy notices (for Lease and Retail) and applicable law.
- Affiliates. For customers, we may share personal information within the General Motors family of companies for analytical purposes, user preferences, and marketing in accordance with GM Financial’s customer privacy notices and applicable law.
- Dealers. We may share your credit application information with the dealer you select during the credit application process, in accordance with the terms and conditions of that process and applicable law.
- Change in Corporate Structure: We may share information in connection with a merger, acquisition, consolidation, change of control, or sale of all or a portion of our assets or if we undergo bankruptcy or liquidation.
- Consumer Reporting Agencies: We may report the status of your account with us to consumer reporting agencies.
- Other Disclosures. We may also disclose your personal information when we are required to do so by law; with your consent; or when we believe that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights or to comply with a judicial proceeding, court order, or legal process.
Data obtained solely through the short code program, to the extent there is any, will not be shared with any third parties for their marketing reasons/purposes.
Making Changes to Your Information
You may make changes to the information that you provide to us on the MyAccount Site by logging in to MyAccount and selecting “My Profile.” You may also select the “Contact Us” tab on the Site to ask us any questions.
Do Not Track
Certain web browsers may provide an option by which you may have the browser inform websites or internet services you visit that you do not wish to have your activities tracked by cookies or other persistent identifiers across time and across third-party internet websites, online or cloud computing services, online applications, or mobile applications. These are commonly called "Do Not Track" signals. At this time, the Site does not honor Do Not Track signals from web browsers because it may diminish the optimal performance of the Site. However, you may refuse or delete cookies. Please refer to your browser’s Help instructions to learn more about cookies and other technologies, and how to manage their use. If you do elect to refuse or delete cookies, you will need to repeat this process if you use another computer or change browsers. If you choose to decline cookies, some of the functionalities of websites may be impaired.
We maintain reasonable physical, electronic and procedural safeguards designed to protect against loss or unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration or destruction of the information you provide on the Site. However, no method of transmission over the internet or electronic storage technology is 100% secure. While we strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee its absolute security. The security of your information also depends on the security of the electronic devices and internet service provider network that you use to access the Site. We are not responsible for the security of your information accessed on those devices or networks.
We may offer you the ability to access your GM Financial account on your mobile devices via the GM Financial MyAccount Mobile Application (“MyAccount App”). When you use the MyAccount App or the Mode Mobile Application, we may collect information described in the section above, titled Collecting Personal Information. We may also collect information about your mobile device, device settings, screen resolution, information about your location, and analytical information about how you use your mobile device. Some mobile devices may allow you to limit the sharing of personal information collected by applications that run on those devices, or information collected by the devices themselves. We may ask permission before collecting certain information (such as precise geo-location information) through the MyAccount App or the Mode Mobile Application.
For your convenience, you may be able to use biometric authentication (using Touch ID, Fingerprint or Face ID) provided through your mobile device manufacturer to access your GMFinancial account. (Please refer to your mobile device manufacturer’s product information for details on biometric functionality for your device.) To enable biometric authentication for logging in to the MyAccount App or the Mode Mobile Application, you are required to save your email address and GM Financial password on your device. GM Financial does not control the fingerprint, Touch ID or Face ID functionality. GM Financial does not have access to your fingerprint(s) or facial recognition information. You understand and agree that any fingerprint or facial recognition information stored on this device can be used to access your GM Financial customer account information. We recommend that you employ a strong device password as an additional layer of security.
The Site is not intended for use by children under the age of 13 years, and we do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13 years. Please contact us if you believe we may have unknowingly collected information about a child under 13, and we will take immediate steps to delete any such personal information.